Your Moving Checklist
Check off each box for a stress-free Move
The big move day is here! Keep the Artunyc Movers checklist close by so that you cover each step of your move.
Before you begin, check with you building manager at both addresses—your old and new homes—to understand if there are any guidelines for moving.
- Times for moving in and out at both addresses.
- Permits for parking that may be needed
- Check stairs, elevators (including service elvators), doorways, etc…
- Landlord notification, usually at least 1 month.
Make a list of items you wish to move, store, or donate. If you wish to get rid of or donate items, begin the process as soon as possible. Artunyc Movers can provide a list of local charities. Artunyc Movers will talk to you about all of the items you want to move when we give you a quote..
Choosing the company to move you is more than just a price tag. Your mover should provide you a flat rate, be honest about additional fees, while also have put your items safety first. You don’t want any surprises on Move Day.
Here are some questions you should ask to find the perfect mover:
- Do you have the accreditation according to federal and state laws?
- Do you protect my items?
- Do you dispose of furniture and other household items that I won’t need at my next home?
- Do you provide plastic bins for packing?
- Do you offer an all-included flat rate or will there be additional costs beyond the quote?
- Do you fully train and screen your crew members?
- Throughout the moving process, from the beginning conversation to move day, do you have a customer service provider to help answer questions?
Amongst the thousands of moving companies, only a handful are actually experienced and professional businesses. Take time to look around, research companies, and get a quote from a few of the highest rated, so you can be sure you’re getting the best movers and best deal for your money.
All charges and fees for your move should be on your quote. Be careful of incredibly cheap prices: those companies often charge additional fees that can add up to a sum higher than other quotes and make your move a miserable experience.
Your moving company should put safety and customer service at the heart of their business culture. They should train their movers to the highest standards of the industry and support them throughout their careers. By doing this, they are ensuring professional and cost-saving approaches to moving that will satisfy your needs.
After you’ve found the best quote and mover, make sure to confirm.
Check off these important boxes after you’ve confirmed your move time and day:
- Complete travel plan, including flights and transfers
- Get in touch with your kid’s school to ensure their records are transferred to their new school
- Get time off from work
- Coordinate your pet’s move, especially for long-distance or international moves
- Schedule child and pet sitters for moving day, so that you can keep your mind on the move at hand
- Get in touch with loved ones if you need help
Plan out how long it will take to pack and then double it. It always takes a lot longer than you want to believe. You want that last day to concentrate on last minute items.
Check off the following boxes:
- Purchase supplies like packing paper, tape, and boxes
- Rent plastic bins
- Mark items that are fragile and need specialized packing
- Make sure to plan for moving valuables and documents
- Mark and separate items you wish to keep from those you want to donate or sell
- Separate items that you want for the night before the move
- Reach out for a helping hand if you’re overwhelmed
plansCheck off these boxes
- Label and pack your final boxes
- Make sure to confirm pet and childcare arrangements for move day
- Update your information with utilities, insurance, banks, and the mail service, along with services like Amazon
- Make address changes for your drivers license within the allowable time
- Take care to finish dry cleaning, empty safe deposit boxes and storage units
- Have a suitcase for moving day with the following:
- Electronics chargers for items like cell phones
- Personal items like make up, prescriptions, and toiletries
- Items important for your children that they’ll want immediately at their new home
- Food for your pet
- Water & food
- Blankets and sheets
- Toys, books, and clothes for long haul moves
- Make sure you give a key to anyone who is meeting you at your new home. Provide them an ETA
- Fix minor issues in the house
- Get up early
- Bring your children and pets to their sitters
- Keep items you want on your person in a separate suitcase in a secure location while your front door is open
- Schedule some time to clean and throw out garbage
- Make sure your phone is on, close to you, and set to ring
- Get some money so that you can leave your movers a tip
- Be ready to greet your movers
- Complete one last walk around and check through the inventory
- Stay close so you can answer questions from your moving crew
- Mark down any scuffs or damage as your items are being removed
- Take pictures
- Lock up and leave your key in the appropriate place
- Make sure your phone is on you as you head to your new address
- Make sure to call whomever is meeting you at your new address so you can get inside
- Wait for you movers at the front
- Test out electricity, gas, internet and all other utilities to make sure everything is good
- Take pictures
- Communicate with your moving crew about any changes to the moving plan, including where you’d like to set items like furniture
- Give a tip to your moving crew
- Make sure everything is ready for when your kids and pets
- Clean bathrooms and kitchens so you can use them right away
- Take out items from your suitcase such as chargers
- Your bedroom is a priority. Get it ready for a good night’s sleep
- Get your children set up in their rooms
- Tape sheets over your windows for privacy
- Celebrate with a take-out dinner
- Make sure to recycle or donate your boxes
- Doublecheck your change of address list
- Arrange for a donation organization to come by for items you no longer want
- If you’re satisfied, please give a short review online for your movers
- Finally, make sure to introduce your family to the super or the doorman and thank them for all of their help
Our flat rate pricing means no hidden surprises, ever.
We include all of the following services at no extra charge to you.
We offer a guaranteed, all-inclusive flat rate price, locked in before your move day. Which means the duration of your move will not impact your move price. We always include the following services at no extra charge to you.
Our White Glove Platinum Packing Experience allows you to keep your digits clean.
ArtuNYC Movers' expert packers deliver on service and meticulously protect and pack your items specifically for durable transport and ease of unpacking at your new home. We give you the five-star treatment, and allow you hands-off relaxation for the most pampering of moves.
Choice movers to get you wherever you're going.
We've got you covered from start to finish, A to B , packing to papers to transport.
Make space with storage
We will pick up your belongings right at your doorstep and deliver them to a secure vault anywhere in New York, where they will be safely stored for you as long as you want.
Don’t just take our word for it, see our customer reviews
The guys showed up sooner than expected, were quick and proficient.
Cost was consistent with the statement with no "gotchas" or additional expenses.
Easiest move I've done so far. They were so nice and made the process as seamless as possible.
Would definitely recommend!
Joanna J., Manhattan, NY
In two words: excellent service!This was truly the easiest move I've ever had, and could not have been happier with the hard work the three guys put in. Will definitely hire them in the future.
Cassie G., New York
Very professional, efficient and friendly movers, wearing gloves and masks the entire time.Moved a 1.5 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn to Manhattan, NY. Took care of all the big furniture (bed, TVs and stands, couch, tables) and loaded everything in just 90 minutes.These guys are extremely professional and efficient! I will definitely use them again.
Samantha O., New York
The guys were courteous and friendly. From the ease of booking the appointment and getting a quote to the actual moving day, I can honestly say this was a stress-free experience. They took all necessary COVID precautions, really great communication and service. Highly recommend!
John P., New York